Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Amanda Johnson

 
My name is Amanda Johnson and I am a senior from Southampton County, VA.

I have been in love with writing since I was a little girl.  There are boxes of my old journals at home, tucked away.  My love of writing, as well as reading, led me to be an English major here at Mary Baldwin College.  I also have minors in Education, Coaching/Exercise Leadership, and History.  Along with my passion for writing, my skills behind a camera led to my work with Coach Alanko, the Sports Information Director.
When I am not working for Coach Alanko in the office, I also work at our Writing Center, where all students can receive help (for free!) with papers that were written for any discipline by trained Writing Center tutors.  I have also served as the 2013-2014 Secretary for President’s Society, the group that is responsible for tours on campus as well as hosting overnights.  I am also the manager of the softball team, which keeps me very busy!

Because of my involvements at Mary Baldwin College, I have gotten a unique insight to the life of student athletes.  Through my involvement in President’s Society, I have actively assisted in recruiting many students to come here, including student athletes.  When I talk to prospective student athletes, I feel that I am able to give knowledgable answers about the realities of juggling life as a student, an athlete, and being involved on campus whether through a job, an organization, a club, etc.

Through the start of “In a Nutshell”, I hope to give potential future Fighting Squirrels a unique opportunity to gain an insight into what life is really like here at Mary Baldwin.  I also want you to see what sets us apart from other institutions—what makes us Boldly Baldwin!

My journey at Mary Baldwin has been fantastic, although full of twists and turns.  I have really discovered who I am here and have watched athletes go through the same process, both on and off the field.  I am extremely grateful to be surrounded by such a supportive community of women and am thankful for all of the opportunities that I have had to get involved here at Mary Baldwin College.

No comments:

Post a Comment